Do you have the perfect car seat picked out for your baby’s first time out in the real world, the big trip home from the hospital?
Are you ready to take your baby out traveling?
Every one of us wants the best for the baby and so we make sure that our baby travels safely in our own car. There is nothing more important than the safety of our newborn, that is exactly why we need to research and make sure that we choose the best safety rated and crash tested car seat for your little newborn!
You already know that you need the best and most perfect car seat for your baby as you need to take your baby everywhere with you. Convenience is key too, can you infant car seat carrier work with your stroller, is it compatible to click in properly and quickly? That’s super important, especially for those car seat transfers where your baby is napping! But with so many varieties of car seat models available, and with a variety of safety measures and technical terms, you are confused about which one to buy or register for on your baby shower registry list. Well, our blog here would definitely solve your dilemma!
First, you need to understand that there are three types of car seats:
Infant Car Seats – This particular one is used for your just born, newborn baby. It usually is used until your baby reaches the seat height or around 30-35 pounds in weight. It also faces the rear of the car, also known as rear facing.
Convertible Car Seats – As the name suggests, these types of car seats can transform from rear-facing seats for babies or toddlers to forward facing for when baby gets older and meets height or weight requirements. It usually holds baby until he or she reaches 60-65 pounds, but this definitely depends on the car seat manufacturer and brand.
Booster Car Seats – These seats are for your child when they get older in age. It bridges the gap between the time your child can use car seat and wear a regular seat belt in the car.
For more detailed information on this topic, check out the Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard Car Seat Guide here.
Ok, so now what factors as a parent would you consider defining when it comes to buying the best car seat for your baby? Also, what guides your choice? Price, convenience, style, safety ratings, ease of use, etc.?
Consider the following:
- The seat should fit perfectly in your car.
- The seat has 5-point harness.
- The seat has easy harness adjustments.
- The seat has side impact protection.
- The seat is easy to install and uninstall.
- The seat is easy to adjust and use.
- The seat can be cleaned easily.
- The seat is from a good reliable brand.
- The seat fits in your budget.
- The seat pad and cushions are soft and comfortable.
Best Infant Car Seats Guide:
Chicco KeyFit 30 Infant Car Seat –
The first rated among all the car seats available online for purchase, Chicco KeyFit 30 Infant Car Seat is engineered with innovative features that make it the easiest infant car seat to install simply, accurately, and securely every time.
- Seat interior lined with EPS energy-absorbing foam for improved impact protection.
- Infant insert for smaller babies from 4-11 lbs.
- 5-point harness with one-pull tightened.
- Adjustable, multi-position canopy.
- Carton Dimensions – 17.32 x 14.96 x 27.95 inches.
Maxi-Cosi Mico 30 Infant Car Seat
The Maxi-Cosi Mico 30 looks very well rounded. It’s one of the lightest infant car seats in its class, with an ergonomic handle that provides extra comfort for parents while carrying.
- Rear-facing from 5-30 pounds and up to 32″.
- Self-wicking fabric: deodorizes and draws liquids away from the skin to help keep baby dry and comfortable.
- Easily removable fabrics for cleaning; innovative design allows for removal without a rethreading harness.
- Installs easily without the base, making it perfect for city trips in a cab.
Graco SnugRide Click Connect 35 Infant Car Seat
The Graco SnugRide Car Seat is a brand that has been trusted for years and years. This infant car seat is designed to protect babies rear-facing from 4-35 lbs and features a comfortable seat to keep baby safe and cozy.
- Rear-facing from 4 – 35 pounds; and up to 32″.
- Click Connect system provides a one-step secure attachment between the rear-facing car seat to all Graco Click Connect Strollers to create a travel system.
- These Graco infant car seats are rigorously crash tested to meet or exceed US safety standards and reassure safety-conscious parents.
- SafeSeat Engineered and crash tested to meet or exceed the US standard FMVSS 213. EPS, energy absorbing foam for effective impact energy management.
UPPAbaby MESA Infant Car Seat
This particular UPPAbaby MESA Infant Car Seat is designed with intuitive innovations. Its SMART Secure System combines auto-retracting LATCH connectors and a visual indicator that turns from red to green, providing an installation that is both simple and accurate.
- Only car seat to pass federal safety standards without the use of fire retardant chemicals.
- SMART Secure system installs in seconds.
- Dimensions(Inches) – Infant Car Seat – 25.8 L x 17 W x 23 H. Car Seat on Base – 28 L x 17 W x 25 H. Base – 21.3 L x 14.5 W x 10.3 H (lowest level). 13 H (highest level)
- Adjustable no-rethread headrest with integrated Side Impact Protection. Resists flames. Exudes softness.
- Suitable only for infants 4-35 lbs. and up to 32″ in height.
- SPF hideaway canopy, Attaches to VISTA and CRUZ strollers without adapters.
Britax B-Safe 35 Infant Car Seat
This Britax B-Safe Infant Car Seat is engineered with Britax’s top safety technologies. The rear-facing seat features a layer of side impact protection and the patented SafeCell Impact Protection System includes a steel frame and energy-absorbing base.
- A layer of side impact protection, steel frame, and impact absorbing base
- Uses Safe Center LATCH or built-in seat belt lock-offs to secure the infant car seat
- Spring-assisted recline and indicators ensure the best vehicle installation angle
- Compatible with all Britax Single Strollers using the built-in adapters and with all BOB Single and Duallie strollers (adapter sold separately)
Check out Car Seats for the Littles Find a CPST (Child Passenger Safety Technician) resource. This is a great way to locate a CPST so that you can rest assured that your car seat is installed securely and properly! This way, your hospital trip home after delivery will go smoothly and safely. One less thing to worry about!
One extra piece of safety advice that most parents miss! There are a variety of wrong ways that children are buckled into their car seats, and the correct safe ways are specific. Many new moms and dads don’t realize the techniques to properly harness your baby in safely. Check out our Car Seat Safety Blog here so that you can assure you are buckling your little one in safely and note the extra tips, like the unsafe way of buckling over thick poofy coats, etc. Car Seat Ponchos are best for those scenarios you need to bundle up your little one in a car seat safely!
Once you select your desired car seat for your infant, make sure that you try it in your car first, it’s a good fit and is what you expected it to be. Remember, every new car seat seat you purchase is safe, you just need to make sure that it is of best and comfortable quality so that your baby’s road trips are smooth.
Latest posts by Barbara Kent (see all)
- Baby Essentials for 6 to 12 Months - April 29, 2019
- Best Infant Car Seats to Buy in 2019 - April 16, 2019
- DIY Car Seat Poncho Tutorial: Easy Poncho Sewing Pattern 2019 - March 22, 2019